top of page

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

1. What can you expect when you see a Psychologist?

Please click the following link on the Canadian Psychological Association (CPA) website for information regarding what to expect when you see a Psychologist.

In our therapy sessions, you can expect the following format:

  • The first few sessions include collecting background information, assessing needs, establishing goals for therapy, and developing rapport. During these sessions, I will likely ask your child to complete questionnaires to establish baseline levels of mental health functioning. 

  • The next few sessions focus on introducing core Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) concepts (e.g. the link between thoughts, feelings and behaviours and how our mood can impact our thoughts).

  • The following sessions continue to focus on CBT concepts and challenging irrational or faulty beliefs. During these sessions, exposure exercises may be recommended if deemed necessary.  

  • For younger children, I meet with the child for the first part of the session and ask parents to attend the last 15 minutes in order to review concepts. Parents of adolescents may or may not be involved depending on the youth's level of comfort with disclosing information to parents. My preference is to involve parents as much as possible if the child/adolescent is willing. 

  • Anywhere between 6-12 sessions are typically recommended on a weekly or biweekly basis but the number of sessions can vary greatly depending on the presenting concerns. 

2. Who pays for psychological services?
In private practice, psychological services are not covered by provincial health insurance (OHIP) but are covered by most extended health plans. The psychologist bills the patient directly and they are provided with a receipt that can be submitted to an insurer for reimbursement. It is important to check with your insurer to obtain details regarding the amount and type of coverage you have, and what information they need from you in order to be reimbursed. When insurance plans only provide limited coverage, receipts may be tax deductible for any remainder when you have a physician referral.

3. What are the differences between Psychologists and other mental health professionals (e.g. Psychotherapists or Psychiatrists)?

Please click on the following links from the Canadian Psychological Association (CPA) and the Ontario Psychological Association (OPA) websites for information about Psychologists.​

In Ontario, Psychologists have typically completed (at minimum):

  • 8 years of university level education including an undergraduate degree, Master's degree (depending on the program) and a Doctoral degree (Ph.D.).

  • A dissertation (research). Many Psychologists have also published studies in peer-reviewed journals.

  • A 1 year internship.

  • Post-Doctorate supervised practice.

  • Have met provincial licensing requirements including exams related to ethics and general knowledge in psychology.

This table created by the OPA highlights some of the differences between Psychologists and other mental health professionals in terms of education and scope of practice.


The Psychologist's scope of practice includes:

  • Assessment of behavioural and mental conditions.

  • The diagnosis of neuropsychological disorders and dysfunctions.

  • The diagnosis of psychotic, neurotic and personality disorders and dysfunction.

  • The prevention and treatment of behavioural and mental disorders and dysfunctions. 

  • The maintenance and enhancement of physical, intellectual, emotional, social and interpersonal functioning. 

In Ontario, only Psychologists, Psychological Associates and medical practitioners including Psychiatrists and Family Physicians are able to communicate a diagnosis identifying, as the cause of a person’s symptoms, a neuropsychological disorder or a psychologically based psychotic, neurotic or personality disorder. This is considered a controlled act as per the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991 (RHPA)

bottom of page